<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @leftiblog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008


 

No on Proposition 8!



If you live in California, it's the most important vote you'll cast on Nov. 4. And, having just taken a walk around the block, it appears my neighbors agree, as this sign far outnumbers any others. Four "No on 8" yard signs (and there'll be one more as soon as I get hold of one), plus one car parked in someone's driveway with a "No on 8" bumper sticker. That compares to one "Yes on 8" sign (technically two, but at the same house), one Obama sign, and one for a local politician.

For a very much on-point treat, this video of my single favorite Queen song (which is saying something, given the competition), "These Are the Days of Our Lives," which just happens to be the last song Queen recorded before the death of Freddie Mercury. As I listen to this song, it's a paean to the pleasures of spending a life with another person, looking back at the past ("those were the days of our lives") while also appreciating the present ("these are the days of our lives"), all the while valuing the continuity of a long-term companion ("those days are all gone now, but one thing is true, when I look, and I find, I still love you").


Am I a "proponent of marriage"? Not particularly. Everyone has to make their own decision on that. But I am most definitely a proponent of the right to marry, for all people, straight or gay.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com High Class Blogs: News and Media