<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 21, 2007


 

Capitalism kills


In a story probably most of you heard:
Cigna refused to pay for a 17-year-old leukemia patient's liver transplant until the family staged a protest Thursday, but Nataline Sarkisyan died shortly after the reversal.
A story which demonstrates Michael Moore's wisdom in focusing "Sicko" not on people without medical insurance, but on people with insurance, because it is that group which demonstrates all the more the insatiable, murderous greed of capitalism, and the imperative of providing all Americans (and all people in the world) not with health insurance, but with health care.

Capitalism is not just greedy, it's also completely irrational. For the last week I've been listening to ads on TV from "1-800-DENTIST." The pitch? "If you've already used up your deductible for 2007, now's the time to visit your dentist and get more care you won't need to pay for." As it happens, I'm in precisely the opposite situation - I need a fairly expensive medical procedure, but since I'm way under my deductible, I put it off until next year so it will kick start my satisfying my deductible for 2008. In both cases, medical care is being scheduled not on the basis of medical need, but on the basis of an insane medical insurance system.


Why stop here? There's more...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com High Class Blogs: News and Media