<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 18, 2007


 

Living lightly on the land


I usually try to avoid personal details on this blog, but this one is too good to pass up. I have a close friend whose favorite saying, an old World War II slogan, is this:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Do without.
Now it so happens I'm a tea drinker. I've owned a "Mr. Coffee" for years, but it typically only gets used every few years when my mother comes to visit. This summer, for no obvious reason, I've taken up drinking iced coffee, so I suddenly found myself using filters for the Mr. Coffee more regularly, and just came to the end of the box. Inside the box was a coupon for 15 cents off my next box. Just one little problem...the coupon expired on June 30, 1983!

I think that qualifies as "using it up," don't you?

Do individuals making personal decisions to "live lightly on the land" make a difference? Of course they do. Is that a substitute for activism to force more fundamental changes in the way society operates? Of course not. But as long as the former doesn't detract from the latter, it's a good thing.

Waste not, want not. And the planet will last just a little bit longer at the same time. :-)


Why stop here? There's more...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com High Class Blogs: News and Media