<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @leftiblog

Friday, September 29, 2006


 

Quote of the Last Century


With George Bush now frequently using language like this--"a world...where the voices of moderation are empowered, and where the extremists are marginalized by the peaceful majority," all I can think of was this quote:
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

- Barry Goldwater, Republican Presidential candidate, 1964
Believe it or not, I was a Goldwater supporter back in 1964, and I'm not ashamed of it, even though my views have diverged wildly from where they were back then. Goldwater was possibly the last of the principled American politicians. And he definitely had it right with this quote--"extremism" is not only not something to be ashamed of, it's a positively essential quality.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com High Class Blogs: News and Media