<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 08, 2006


 

Satire


Readers and I have been have a go-round over the question of satire - what it is, do I appreciate it. In that vein, I offer this article from the Washington Post which starts like this:
Career appointees at the Department of Agriculture were stunned last week to receive e-mailed instructions that include Bush administration "talking points" -- saying things such as "President Bush has a clear strategy for victory in Iraq" -- in every speech they give for the department.
And continues with material like this:
There's a sample introduction: "Several topics I'd like to talk about today -- Farm Bill, trade with Japan, WTO, avian flu . . . but before I do, let me touch on a subject people always ask about . . . progress in Iraq." See? Smooth as silk.
Perhaps I've been taken in, this is, after all, an article by a columnist and not a "news" article. As far as I can tell, however, the article is 100% "reality." If you can tell the difference between it and something that could just as easily be a segment on the Colbert Report, let me know. Satirizing reality in a world which is increasingly self-satirizing is clearly becoming far more difficult.


Why stop here? There's more...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com High Class Blogs: News and Media